Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Tale of Three Runs

Apologies for the lengthy absence of posts, but this past week has been one long haul. Tuesday was the third "ten-out-of-twelve" (that's hours long) tech day with a stumble through with the band in the evening, then Wednesday was another tech-fix day and another sort of run. Our first real run was Thursday night, the invited dress rehearsal, with a crowd of about a hundred friends, supporters, volunteers, ushers, park employees (Ford's is a National Park, after all), and producers from Ford's and Goodspeed, as well as a friend and supporter of the show, Ted Shen.

It was a great, great show, everything coming together finally, tech snafus clearing up, the cast getting used to the lights and their costume changes and the raked stage and the band, etc., and I had a great time. After, the producers all met to confer and gave their thoughts to Eric. The report back was that they adored the second act but had a general note of slight concern about the first; this, of course, was exactly the opposite to Eddie's and my reaction. Between all of us, we joked, we have a hit!

We really couldn't imagine what they were hearing when they told us their concern, but during the first paid preview on Friday, I gave it a hard listen and I saw exactly what they were talking about. As a result, I didn't enjoy that performance too much, I was too busy trying to figure out what we could do to fix the issue. I should say I didn't enjoy it until the curtain calls — the audience was largely groups of high school students, who I was worried would find the piece too dark or old-fashioned or whatever, but they were the first to jump to their feet when Jim and Heidi came downstage for their bows. Some were crying. I went and spoke to one of their chaperones (I could spot them from their bright red "MHS" varsity jackets). "Where are you from," I asked. "We're from Marion, Iowa," she said, "and we've brought about 150 band and chorus students, most of whom have never seen a professional theater production." I tentatively asked her their reaction, and she told me they all loved it.

I felt pretty great that MJD was the first show these kids saw and it really seemed to speak to them. But we were still left with the first act issue. The only solution seemed to be to cut a number of John's, a song that was one of the first ones we ever wrote for the show, and a real favorite, not just with us but the producers, as well. Nevertheless, everyone agreed they wanted to try cutting it, and we reluctantly said okay, expecting it to be terrible and so obviously necessary to the show that it would go right back in. Well, second preview came, minus the song, and we had to agree the act plays better without it. Ah well, another for the trunk.

That was a nice surprise; what wasn't such a nice surprise was:

Washington Post Article Number 2!

I'll let Eddie tell you about this one, truly a moment for the scrapbooks.

5 comments:

Seth Christenfeld said...

Exit "This Other Guy," I take it?

Eddie Sugarman said...

That's exactly right. Gosh, I guess it was obvious to everybody but us!

Seth Christenfeld said...

Actually, it was deduction - it was the only song I could think of that fit the parameters (John has two songs in Act I, but the other isn't old enough to have been "one of the first songs [you] wrote for the show.")

I like the song. Good for the trunk, at least, sitting alongside "I Feel Too Good."

DL said...

Dear Messrs. Gerle and Sugarman:

Congratulations on the show! I saw it last night and enjoyed the music and lyrics very much, as well as the staging and the performances. (Ms. Blickenstaff's performance is no less than Tony-worthy.)

I enjoyed the book, but was unclear about some things. (I have not seen the film.) Here are my thoughts; please take these comments with a "grain of salt".

Why does Beany try to convince Willoughby to admit to the scam in the first act? (Where did he get the $5,000?) I was unclear on this since he is working for the newspaper.

Ann's infatuation with Willoughby seems to come out of nowhere; there is a little bit of a jump. She tells us in song that it is there, but I would like to have seen it happen rather than just hear about it.

Ann's father as a man of decency and the influence he has on her later, as she questions her actions, was not clear in the beginning. In Ann's song early on, where she talks to her father, she seems to say: "we are going to succeed" rather than "in spite of what you have taught me, I am going to do this...".

In the beginning of Act 2, it is not clear, until most of the way through the scene, that Willoughby and the Colonel are running away, before they are turned around by "Thank You". (I also did not realize, until most of the way through the scene that they are not in New York. --I know, I should read the program!)

(Also, how did Ann and D.B. find them there?)

Halfway through Act 2, the Colonel disappears. What happens to him?

Again, these are just some random questions I had. (It's entirely possible that I may have missed some things along the way, and if that be the case, just ignore these comments.)

At any rate, I do wish you and the company all the best!

Your fan,

DL

Scott Earley said...

Eddie and Andrew,

Glad to hear the show is continuing to do well. I wish you continued success. Glad I knew you when.