Sunday, April 1, 2007

Decompressing

It's been a while since my last post (happy April!), but it's been a much-needed break from the intensity of the past 6 weeks. I looked in on the show last night for the first time in about a week, and it's in great shape! Performances have really crystallized, some actors are making some great new choices and continuing to explore their characters and keeping the material fresh. And audiences continue to respond enthusiastically, which is what I love. (Although I overheard an older gentleman last night saying that he "was NOT having a good time"; turns out, he wanted to be back in his hotel room watching Final Four action. Guess he's not a baseball fan.)

The icing on the cake for us has been some very nice reviews in local papers and online. Check them out here: Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Theatremania, DCist, and PotomacStages.com.

We may keep checking back for more comments, but if not, thanks for coming with us on our journey, and if you see the show, tell us what you think!


3 comments:

musicalfan said...

Hey, I saw it last night, on the 3rd. WOW! It was really good! There were some noisy people in the front of me, but it was just as good. How on earth did you come up with the opening sequences? The word play in the opening bwtween anne and the editor (i forgot his name....oops!) was spectacular. You had a huge amount of words that worked perfectly together, and kept them talking nonstop. That I think was what made it the most impressive. However, when you get to the softer-modded songs, namely "who forgot to tell my heart", they were gorgous. But the mood wasn't as quiet as it could have been. My personal opinion is that you should add some strings. A string section not nessecerily, but some sort of string instrument. That in itself would cause the softer sections to be more softer. I would recommend a cello, because they are beautiful in their upper octaves, and very grumpy and scary when played staccato in their lower octaves. Great show overall though, it was great. Geez, I can't stop gushing!.......

Unknown said...

I saw it at Goodspeed and my brother saw it at Fords. We're trying to compare notes. I'd like to know what songs you added and what songs you changed. It sounds like it really did improve. I liked it when I saw it, but it felt like you were still working on it. My brother was very enthusiastic.

Eddie Sugarman said...

Hi Franci, Gosh, a lot of changes...totally new opening sequence "Yesterday's News" + 2 new songs for Ann in the first act "I Hope You Can See This" and "He Threw Me". Cut the mother character completely...streamlined both acts quite a bit. Cut "This Other Guy" in previews. Hmm...what else...those are the biggies off the top of my head. Come on down to DC and see it!